Friday, March 16, 2007

plotting and planning

These are the paint colors in my boys' room.
I purchased 5 yards of the light khaki fabric.

And after I add a bunch of red fabric scraps, hopefully I will come up with something like this.

Have I mentioned how much I love to improvisationally piece quilts? I absolutely love it. LOVE it! And after this quilt turned out so much better than I had ever imagined, I am excited to try a new project along the same lines.

This new quilt will be for my oldest. His current quilt is over 4 years old and is well used. And since the younger one inherited the plain spoken quilt, I need to get busy on a new quilt for the top bunk.

The plain spoken quilt (pictured above) was originally made to be a throw over the couch or chair in our upstairs living room. It somehow made it down to the family room and was there for a few weeks. The other day I had a bright idea: it would go well in the boys' room. It matches perfectly and it really looks great with their bunk beds. This quilt is versatile...it matches every room in my house, one bathroom excluded. I didn't realize this until it after I had completed it, just how well it coordinates with my entire house.

Mama Urchin asked (a few post ago already) what I did with all my quilts. I give away almost half of them (as gifts), and I use the other half. Last year I made 12 quilts, gave away 5. The rest I kept for my immediate family and we use them in our home. Let me put it this way...I am looking for a quilt cupboard...it's getting to that point. We love quilts around here. Really.

Thanks for stopping by, for checking in and for your comments. I appreciate it so much.

7 comments:

Mama Urchin said...

Hmm, that quilt would look great in my little boys room :-)

Anina said...

That is going to be beautiful, although I'm not sure about boys and white...
You already know how much I love your log cabin scrap quilt. I'm planning something very much like that for my scraps.
Have Fun!

Amanda Jean said...

anina, the photo really washed out the colors...the fabric for the background in my new quilt is a khaki color. didn't want to go too light...or too dark, for that matter. hopefully the color I chose will be practical for my boy. I guess time will tell. :)

sulu-design said...

That inspiration piece is amazing. I look forward to seeing where you go with it.

Linda said...

Looking forward to seeing the new finished quilt! Z and P are lucky boys to have such gorgeous quilts made for them by mom! You're right, Plain Spoken really does look great in there!

Clair said...

I like the quilt you put on Parker's bed.

Roxanne said...

The quilt you linked to was amazing, I can't wait to see your interpretation! I'm sure it will be equally fabulous! My house is the same way - every room coordinates with the next. I think that just happens naturally when you find stuff you like!